Before I start, if you want to read my blog first about going back to FCC to finish my Wikipedia app, check this out.
After building several small projects for the Grow with Google – Udacity Challenge, I have developed a system to tackle these project.
I used to just go all over the place and try to figure everything out at once. This got me overwhelmed. I end going around in circles scouring the web to find answers to my questions to no avail. I get frustrated and end up giving up.
This is what happened to me with the Wikipedia viewer.
When I got back to it. I came with a plan.
I broke down the problem into small parts. Each part should be self contained and can easily be categorized between easy and hard.
Once this is done, I start tackling issues one by one. I start with the easiest then move on to the hardest. Working with the easiest first made sense for me because not only am I able to finish these issues quick. But, also, the compounded wins keeps me motivated.
Here’s how I broke down the Wikipedia app.
- build the form – input and button
- add the heading and logo
- add the link that opens a new page on wikipedia with a random wiki article
- style the existing elements
- create the structure for each article that will be displayed
- style the card
- access the api
- grab the response from the api call
- inspect the response to find out what properties need to be grabbed
- build the article and place it on the card
The hardest part here was working with the API. I had to figure out what method to use to be able to grab the properties that I needed. I ended up with
query. In addition, I had to deal with an issue with CORS. Surprisingly, this was easily resolved. I just had to add this parameter:
I hope this helps you out in some way to deal with your projects.